Charlemagne has requested that his contentious heirs (the players) build castles for his security and comfort in the territories he likes to visit in the course of his travels.
To do this they are forced to compete for the services of the five clans of paladins (the five colors of cubes), through whom the Emperor rules his lands.
- 15 board segments representing territories of the Empire. (Notice that the segments, of 3 different shapes, can be easily fitted together to form larger territories - a significant element of the game)
- 5 sets of discs each numbered 1 to 5 (2 black, 2 white, and 1 gray)
- 4 courts: small rectangular boards with the picture of a castle and along one edge a row of dots in the 5 colors
- 2 cotton bags
- 200 small wooden cubes representing the 5 paladin clans in the 5 colors
- 1 large yellow figure representing the Emperor Carolus Magnus
- 4 dice with 5 faces in the 5 colors; the 6th face has a crown
- 5 clan markers (wooden cylinders) in the 5 colors 30 castles in 3 colors (black, white, and gray)
The Game For 2 Players: â€¦